Saturday, September 3, 2011

Absolutely nothing should matter

There is a part of me which feels that the methods of establishing intentions known to man kind are simply not enough. It has been my pet concern for years now. What naturally follows from this premise is an admission of my own inability to judge people and the inability of others to judge me. The reason being that for any judgement, ascertaining intentions is a critical part. If it is not possible to ascertain intentions with high levels of accuracy, the judgement is not quite worth it. However society is always in a constant attempt to improve its capabilities at judging including ascertaining intentions. Be it an individual who tries to judge the conduct of his or her colleague, a friend judging the conduct of a friend or a court trying an accused. One would assume that a court through its process of establishing intentions in criminal cases would have the most fine tuned and sensitive mechanism to assess intentions. But even the court finds it difficult to do it at times. And the court protects itself from misjudging by following the principle of establishing the intentions beyond any reasonable doubt and also believing that it is better to let a thousand guilty go free than convict an innocent. (The court does make certain exceptions to this rule.) In spite of these safe guards, there are still the instances where they go wrong. So now if that is the case with the court, what about us in our daily interactions with people around us where we make so many judgements. I shudder to think.

So now if I am unable to trust the best of mechanisms for judgement, I might as well not indulge in the process of judging. So is it possible to live in a society like that? No clue. Let me try and I will let you know the results. :-)

And on the other side, it would be a fallacy to bother about other people's judgement of us. So that brings me to the title of this piece. Absolutely nothing should matter. :-)


PS. And I am not sure we will evolve better mechanisms through our evolving understanding of jurisprudence.

No comments: